Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Lecture 1: What is this course about?

I was glad to see so many people at the lecture Monday, I hope to see most of you again Wednesday!

-- It seems like the room will be tight, but workable, so unless lot's more people show up Wed we'll stay put in 213 Ann

-- As per our discussion, my office hours will be 7-8pm on Tuesdays, but if there are lot's of people asking questions I'll probably be willing to stay past 8.

-- I forgot to ask if people want me to have office hours this week.  My guess is that there's not much of a point since we haven't started much yet.  But, if you'd like to come today, post a comment here so that I know there's interest and I'll stick around.  If there are no comments, then I'll start my office hours next week.

-- With regards to the size of the web, Virgil made a nice observation after class: there is a page for each natural number listing interesting properties of it (see wikipedia for example), which proves that the web is at least countably infinite. 

-- Don't forget to start the homework early!  The preferred way to ask questions is to comment on the blog post for HW1.  But, of course, if you have something that you don't want to post, please feel free to email the HW guru (for HW1 this is JK).

Update: The slides are now up

1 comment:

  1. Ok, there haven't been any comments, so I won't be holding office hours today. The first round of office hours will be next week.

    ReplyDelete