Monday, January 23, 2012

Lecture 5

Today we talked a LOT about heavy-tails...and we managed to finish it off, despite the fire alarm!

The details of what we covered could fill a whole probability course, so don't worry if you don't feel that you could prove all the results -- focus on understanding the intuition behind what I told you.  (And if you want to learn more, ask me and I'll point you in the right direction.)

In my mind the key things to take away about heavy-tails are the following:
1) Know some examples of heavy-tailed distributions (Pareto, Weibull, and LogNormal)
2) Know some generic processes that create heavy-tails -- additive process (generalized CLT), extremal processes, and multiplicative processes.
3) Know how to apply these ideas to networks in order to get a heavy-tailed degree distribution. (And be sure to look at the details of the proof for Preferential attachment, since that'll be useful on the HW.)

Like I said in class, I could go on-and-on about heavy-tails...  So, I probably tried to pack too much into one lecture.  You'll likely need to go back and look at the notes in order to really process everything we talked about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment